The Houston Astros completed their journey back to the top of the baseball world, defeating the Philadelphia Phillies in six games to claim their second World Series title in franchise history.
Latest MLB Updates For World Series Odds
- MLB free agency begins Nov. 10.
- The Houston Astros defeated the Philadelphia Phillies in six games to win their second World Series title since 2017 and in franchise history.
Understanding World Series Betting Options
Because baseball is such a popular sport in the US and worldwide, most MLB games have a good number of choices for betting. But the World Series brings the largest number of options, more than any other time of year.
- MLB Moneyline Bets – The moneyline bet is also called a straight bet, and it’s the simplest bet you can make. Before the game begins, you bet on which team will win, and the number of runs doesn’t matter.
- MLB Run Line (Points Spread) Bets – In a run line, the number of runs does matter. You can either pick the underdog to win by any amount or lose within a specified number of runs, or you pick the favorite to win by a specified number of runs.
- Series Bets – Rather than bet the moneyline on a single game, you can bet it on the series. This is a particularly hot bet when it’s the playoffs, and the World Series is the most popular Series Bet at the sportsbook.
- MLB Totals (Over/Under Bets) – Rather than betting on a team or player, you can simply bet on the total number of runs scored by both teams combined. The sportsbook will set an amount, and you can bet that it will be over or under the bookmaker’s guess.
- MLB Parlay Betting – A parlay is where you make multiple bets and receive a payout only if all bets are correct. Bettors choose to parlay to increase the overall winning potential.
- MLB Futures Bet – An MLB futures bet is placing a wager on a future event. Most commonly, this is who will win the NL and AL pennants as well as the World Series.
A futures bet can only be placed in advance. The more teams that are eliminated, the fewer the potential winners, and the fewer futures bets the sportsbook will take.
Bettors who have a good feeling about a specific team to win it all are best suited to place their futures bet early. If the lead-up to the playoffs has that team doing better and better, the odds will shift in the team’s favor, and the potential payout diminishes. The opposite is true for an early favorite. And therein lies the strategy for futures betting.
- World Series Prop Bet – A prop bet is a wager on an in-game outcome or a futures bet on a specific player.
For the World Series, this will include things like Over/Under bets on the first five innings, who will get a hit, and so on. Prop bets can vary dramatically between betting sites.
The Game 2 bet set +425 odds on Tampa Bay’s Snell recording four or more strikeouts and the Dodgers’ Seager hitting a home run. The parlay paid off in Game 2, prompting the writer to make the same bet again for Snell’s next start in Game 6.
Snell struck out nine in Game 6, but Seager didn’t hit a home run.
How To Place Online World Series Bets
If you’re in a state where online sports betting is legal, placing a bet is relatively simple. Choosing the best bet is where things get a bit more tricky. But analytics aside here’s a step-by-step guide on online World Series betting:
Choose A Sportsbook And Create An Account
You’ll have a set number of options to choose from. States like New Jersey and Nevada have over 20 online sportsbooks while other states have just a few. Here are some factors to consider:
- How good are the promotions?
- How fair are the bonus terms & conditions?
- Do they offer the best odds?
- Can you play via mobile?
Once you’ve selected an online sportsbook, you’ll create an account. Follow the steps that include providing your personal information, and you’ll need to allow the sportsbook to know your location. For all states, you need to be physically located in the state to bet.
You may find a sign-up or registration bonus that gives you free money without the need to deposit. You may also take advantage of a deposit bonus where the casino matches your deposit by a certain percentage.
Just be sure to read all bonus terms and conditions before you opt-in. You can always opt-out of the bonus offers and simply deposit.
Deposit & Cashout
Common deposit methods include credit and debit cards as well as e-wallets like PayPal. You can likely cash out using PayPal, direct deposit, or in-person at a partnering casino cage.
Best Sportsbooks For World Series Betting Odds
- DraftKings Sportsbook: Best overall sports betting app, plus great World Series promotions.
- BetMGM Sportsbook: Best for long parlays with the Parlay Plus 40% odds booster.
- Caesars Sportsbook: Best rewards program, and bettors earn points for betting on MLB.
- BetRivers Sportsbook: Best welcome bonus (double deposit up to $500 with 1x wagering requirements).
- FanDuel Sportsbook: Best for sports bettors that also enjoy MLB daily fantasy sports (DFS).
- Typical World Series Promo: On top of the many odds boosters, DraftKings will likely offer new signups 40 to 1 odds on either team to win right before the 2022 World Series.
- Available States: AZ, CO, CT, IL, IN, IA, KS, LA, MD, MI, NH, NJ, NY, OH, PA, TN, VA, WV & WY
- What Makes It A Top Sportsbook? DraftKings offers the highest-rated sports betting app in the US, always offers tons of promotions and odds boosts, and takes bets on every Spring Training, regular season, postseason, and World Series game, including great prop bets, same-game parlays, and more.
2. BetMGM Sportsbook
- Bonus Offer: Claim a first bet up to $1,000 (offer not valid in NY & MS)
- Typical World Series Promo: Bet $25 on any team, get $2 for every home run hit by both teams.
- Available States: AZ, CO, DC, IL, IN, IA, KS, LA, MD, MI, MS, NJ, OH, NV, NY, PA, TN, VA, WV & WY
- What Makes It A Top Sportsbook? BetMGM is offered in more parts of the US than any other online sportsbook, giving the most bettors access to BetMGM features like Parlay Plus for 40% odds boosters, live streaming on select events, and tons of MLB promotions all season long.
3. Caesars Sportsbook
- Typical World Series Promo: Bet $100 or more on an MLB wager, get a jersey of your choice from the official MLB Store.
- Available States: AZ, CO, IN, IA, IL, KS, LA, MD, MI, NJ, NY, OH, PA, TN, VA & WV
- Standout World Series Features: Caesars Sportsbook offers highly competitive odds on all World Series bets, from the player and team props to the futures and beyond, and every bet earns Caesars Rewards points.
- BetRivers World Series Promos: New members win $100 if either team hits a home run
- Available States: AZ, CO, IL, IN, IA, LA, MD, MI, OH, NJ, NY, PA, VA & WV
- Standout World Series Features: BetRivers offers some of the promotions in sports betting, including a welcome bonus that doubles your first deposit up to $500 (for $500 total), and you can use it to place any number of bets on odds -200 or longer with just a 1x wagering requirement.
5. FanDuel Sportsbook
- Typical World Series Promo: Place a $50+ wager and score $5 in betting credits for every run made by your team, plus tons of FanDuel DFS promos.
- Available States: AZ, CO, CT, IL, IN, IA, KS, LA, MD, MI, NJ, NY, OH, PA, TN, VA, WV & WY
- What Makes It A Top Sportsbook? FanDuel Sportsbook always has some of the best promotions surrounding the postseason across all sports, particularly the MLB, NBA, and NFL. Your sportsbook login and bankroll (except bonus credits) also apply to the FanDuel DFS platform for MLB fantasy sports as well.
What’s Different In The 2023 MLB Season?
The 2022 season introduced some drastic rule changes, most notably the universal designated hitter. Baseball purists were not happy about the National League adopting the DH, but it’s difficult to argue that baseball isn’t more exciting when we’re not forced to watch pitchers overmatched at the plate. More changes are coming in 2023. Here’s what baseball fans and bettors can look forward to when opening day arrives.
The pitch timer has been an inevitable rule change after average pace of play decreased by 26 minutes in the minor leagues. In 2023, the MLB timer will allot 30 seconds between batters; 20 seconds between pitches when men are on base; and 15 seconds between pitches when bases are empty. In addition to a pitch timer, throws over to first base will be limited, something that has increased stolen bases in the minor leagues. Major League Baseball anticipates swifter games and more action on the basepaths.
Defensive Shift Limits
Perhaps the most controversial rule change for 2023 is the elimination of “extreme” shifts. Defenses must keep four players on the infield dirt, so say ‘good bye’ to screaming line drives being swallowed up by an infielder stationed in shallow right field. Major League Baseball wants to increase the batting average on balls in play and restore more “traditional” batted ball outcomes. There will be more than a few giddy left-handed hitters who figure to see a sharp increase in their batting averages.
While bigger bases can encourage more stolen base attempts with a slightly improved chance of converting, the aim of the bigger bases, which increase from 15 inches square to 18 inches square, is to give fielders more freedom to operate around the bag and decrease the threat of collisions.
What States Allow Bets On The World Series?
In the US, there are currently 26 states (plus D.C/) where sports betting is legal in some form. However, of those areas, these 19 states allow legal online sportsbooks, and the rest do not:
- New Jersey
- New York
- West Virginia
States with legal in-person betting and no mobile betting (or highly limited mobile betting) include:
- Maryland (launching online betting soon)
- Mississippi (in-person mobile betting)
- New Hampshire (single-operator online betting)
- New Mexico
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island (single-operator online betting)
- South Dakota
Dozens of other states have considered legislation related to legalizing physical and online sports betting already in 2022. Much of this legislative moment came as a result of the overturn of PASPA, the law that prohibited online sports betting.
Will All Legal US Sportsbooks Take Bets On The World Series?
Yes. While some states bar residents from betting on in-state college games, you can always bet on the pros. And because the World Series is one of the biggest sporting events in America, it’s a safe bet that it will be well represented at every legal online sports betting site and app.
It’s also likely that the standard sports betting odds on the World Series will be comparable across the options. That means if you make a straight bet on one of the teams, it doesn’t matter much where you place your bet as long as it’s a legal site. Still, it’s smart to shop around for the best odds, as the payout differences can be significant depending on how much you’re betting.
Plus, the odds start to get much more variable with exotic bets and promotions. This is true with the MLB (and all sports) in general, but it’s in overdrive when it’s the World Series. From unique prop bets to odds boosters to deposit bonuses, each online sportsbook will have something interesting on offer.
What Affects The World Series Odds?
Futures odds are like the weather – if you don’t like them today, see what changes tomorrow brings. They’re constantly changing, and the reasons they change can vary from team to team.
Once the season begins, the biggest factors are how a team is performing and the health and quality of its roster.
Even the best teams go through slumps over the course of 162 games, it’s simply inevitable. A team can win more than 100 games but is still going to hit a rough patch or two where it looks mortal.
A slump lasting five to seven games isn’t going to have a major impact on the odds if a team’s key players are healthy. If the slump grows beyond 10 days, oddsmakers will adjust the odds accordingly.
Injuries can have the biggest impact on in-season odds, as the loss of a key contributor can greatly diminish a team’s championship hopes. Teams with the depth of the Dodgers can handle an injury or two, while a team like the Rays may see their chances vanish.
The arrival of a key rookie from the minor leagues can also bolster a team’s championship odds. And the same holds true if a key player returns.
Trades, of course, are the final piece of the puzzle. A number of contending teams add pieces via trade right up until the deadline. Oddsmakers will then have a much better feel for which teams are true World Series contenders and they’ll adjust the odds accordingly. It can be very challenging to accurately anticipate which teams will make trades, and the player(s) they’ll acquire. However, there are a few hints bettors can consider:
- Contenders with strong farm systems — Contenders – especially those with deep pockets – with depth among their minor league prospects will have the ammo to pry big names from other teams.
- Players on expiring contracts — Teams waiving the white flag, particularly those with tight budgets, often opt to trade their impending free agents if they’ve been unable to sign them to extensions. It’s still difficult to predict who will be traded and to whom, but this can help narrow down the possibilities for those looking to beat a shift in odds.
- Injuries — If a team loses a key player or multiple players at a position, they will be more likely to address the vacancy through the trade market.
How World Series Bettings Odds Are Calculated
When you bet on the World Series in the US, you’ll likely be dealing with American Odds.
Simple Overview Of American Odds
Basically, the plus (+) number is how much you’ll win if you bet $100. The minus (-) number is how much you need to bet to win $100.
The more likely the bet is to be successful, the higher the minus number (and the lower the payout). The more unlikely a bet, the larger the plus number (and the higher the payout).
For example, let’s say the Houston Astros play the LA Dodgers in the 2022 World Series. For Game 1, the straight bet moneyline might be:
If you bet $100 on the Astros and they win the game, you’d win $150 and receive $250 ($100 wager plus the $150 in winnings).
If you bet $100 on the Los Angeles Dodgers, you’d win $80 and receive $180 (your wager plus winnings). But if you were to bet $125 on the Dodgers and they won, you’d win $125 and receive $225.
To manually calculate win potential for minus odds, you divide 100 by the number, then multiply the decimal by your bet. For the Dodgers line above, that would be 100/125 = 0.80, then 0.80 x $100 = $80.
For the plus odds, you’d divide the odds by 100. In the Yankees example, that would be 150/100 = 1.50, then 1.50 x $100 = $150.
You could also just use an online calculator. And most online sportsbooks will let you click the bet and type in any amount to see what the payout would be.
See our comprehensive guide to Sports Betting Odds for more information.
Betting Odds For The World Series FAQ
Yes, sports betting on the MLB and World Series is legal in about half of US states, with many also offering legal online sports betting.
21. In most states, you need to be at least 21 years old to bet on the World Series. This applies to online and physical sportsbooks.
However, there are some exceptions. In Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Washington, D.C., and Oregon, the legal age is 18 and up because one of the online sportsbooks is run by the state lottery. Further, you can bet in-person if you’re 18 and up at some tribal sportsbooks in Michigan, New York, and elsewhere.
In most states, you can play Daily Fantasy Sports (DFS) if you’re 18 and up. All major DFS sites will have World Series events where you can win real money.
If you’re in a state where online sports betting is legal, you should have a few high-quality options for placing bets. The sites and apps with the best odds, promotions, and customer service include:
The list goes on. The great thing about betting at a legal site is that you know you’re joining a legitimate sportsbook that will pay out promptly and feature fair terms and conditions. The same can’t be said for illegal sites.
Yes, if you bet at a legitimate and trusted online sportsbook site or app. However, if you live outside of a state where online sports betting is legal, placing a bet online can be unsafe.
Offshore sites that accept all US players no matter what state are breaking the law and people who bet at them technically are as well. While you likely won’t be prosecuted for placing a bet, you have no recourse if the site refuses to pay or hits you with unfair terms and conditions.
Yes. At legal online sportsbooks in the US, in-game betting (also known as live betting) is legal. That means you can place bets after the game begins, and place bets over the course of the game.
If you’re not able to bet at an online sportsbook, you’ll have to visit the physical sportsbook to place in-game bets. Otherwise, your only option is placing pre-game bets.
Los Angeles Dodgers. At most sportsbooks, the Dodgers are the frontrunner to win the 2022 World Series.
The MLB regular season ends on October 2, 2022, with the MLB postseason to follow soon after.