Legal online sports betting in the US means access to tons sportsbook promotions. As long as you’re in one of nearly 20 states with legal online sportsbooks, you have access to both welcome bonuses and ongoing promo codes. These offers give bettors the opportunity to bet more while risking less of their own money.
Below, you’ll find online sports betting promo codes for August 2022 as well as the latest promotions available at some of the top sites. You can also quickly find the best online sportsbook bonuses in your specific state:
Sportsbook Promos for August 2022
This table lists the best online betting bonus codes for new signups to start betting while risking less of their own money:
|Online Sportsbook||Promo Code (Click to Claim)||States Operating|
|DraftKings Sportsbook||Deposit $5, Get $50 Free + 20% deposit match up to $1,000||AZ, CO, CT, IL, IN, IA, LA, MI, NH, NJ, NY, PA, TN, VA, WV & WY|
|BetMGM||Risk-free bet up to $1,000 with bonus code PLAYSPORTS||AZ, CO, DC, IL, IN, IA, LA, MI, MS, NJ, NV, NY, PA, TN, VA, WV & WY--Risk-free bet not available in NY or PA|
|Caesars||Risk-free bet up to $1,500 with promo code: SBBONUS15||AZ, CO, IN, IA, IL, LA, MI, NJ, NY, TN, VA & WV|
|BetRivers||100% deposit match up to $250 with bonus code BONUSPLAY (FREEBONUS in NJ)||AZ, CO, IL, IN, IA, LA, MI, NJ, NY, PA, VA & WV|
|FanDuel Sportsbook||No sweat first bet up to $1,000||AZ, CO, CT, IL, IN, IA, LA, MI, NJ, NY, PA, TN, VA, WV & WY|
|PointsBet||2 risk-free bets up to $2,000 total with bonus code 2000BET||CO, IL, IN, IA, MI, NJ, NY, PA, VA & WV|
|Unibet||Risk-free bet between $100 and $500, depending on state, with bonus code BETBONUS||AZ, IN, IA, NJ, PA & VA|
Most Popular Sports Betting Events
Not sure how you want to use your sports betting promotions? These upcoming events are expected to bring in the most betting action today:
- MLB: Practically every MLB team plays every day throughout the summer months, making baseball the most popular betting option until NFL and basketball start back up. See the current MLB World Series odds 2022 here, with current favorites that include the Dodgers, Yankees, Astros, Mets, and Braves.
- PGA Tour: The Wyndham Championship goes from August 4-7 on CBS and the GOLF Channel.
- MLS: Soccer fans have tons of games at their disposal, with MLS action going on every week, plus Champions League qualifiers for those who prefer European action.
- WNBA: The odds on the Women’s National Basketball Association games are available at all US sportsbooks, giving basketball fans a great option for summer betting.
When an event attracts the most bets, it usually means the most competitive odds and the biggest profit boosts at the best online sportsbooks. While summer is typically the slowest time of the year for sportsbooks, there’s still hundreds of lines available across the apps.
Football Betting Promo Codes
Use these quick links to claim the best sportsbook bonus codes to bet on football in the US.
Which Sportsbook Promo Is Right For You?
DraftKings Online Sportsbook Promo Code
- Best for long-term sports bettors due to 20% deposit match up to $1,000 with 5x playthrough
- Available on iOS, Android, and website browser
- Bonus code updated for August 2022
DraftKings Sportsbook is already an industry titan and a household name. But that doesn’t stop it from offering the best online sports betting welcome bonus. Use our exclusive DraftKings Online Sportsbook bonus code link for a $50 free bet when you deposit $5, plus a 20% deposit-match bonus up to $1,000. Terms and conditions apply.
The initial DraftKings deposit bonus gets you a $50 free bet for depositing the minimum. This makes it ideal for everyone, from low-budget bettors to high-rollers. It’s just too good a deal to pass up.
However, the 20% bonus up to $1,000 has a 5x playthrough requirement, meaning you receive $1 of your bonus for every $25 wagered. This makes it geared toward long-term, more serious bettors. But the minimum $5 deposit applies here as well, so it’s still worth getting no matter how much you deposit. Just be sure to read all the T&Cs.
BetMGM Online Sportsbook Bonus Code
- Best for a $1,000 risk-free bet, refunded as multiple free bets
- Available on iOS, Android, and website browser
- Promo code updated for August 2022
Visit: BetMGM Sportsbook to claim a $1,000 risk-free bet – use exclusive bonus code: PLAYSPORTS (offer not available in all states)
New members can use the BetMGM Sportsbook bonus code: PLAYSPORTS for a risk-free bet up to $1,000. If the wager is won, you simply receive your winnings and bet. But if it loses, bets under $50 are refunded as a single free bet and bets $50 or more are refunded as five free bets, each equal to 20% of the lost wager.
The BetMGM Online Sportsbook promo codes don’t end there. Existing members always have several promotions at their disposal, including additional risk-free bets, parlay profit boosters, and more.
However, the welcome bonus is not offered in all states.
Caesars Sportsbook Promo Code
- Best for risk-free bet up to $1,500
- Available on iOS, Android, and website browser
- Promo code updated for August 2022
The Caesars Sportsbook promo code is SBBONUS15 for a risk-free bet on your first bet up to $1,500. Terms and conditions apply, but this is a great deal if you were planning on joining Caesars Sportsbook anyway. It offers the highly popular Caesars Rewards program, which applies to both online betting and in-person betting at Caesars Entertainment properties. Caesars Casino is also available online in select states.
Caesars has the most sportsbook locations in Las Vegas, so it plays a huge role in setting the lines for the rest of the sportsbooks to follow. Caesars Online takes this overall quality well beyond the massive bonus code for new members with odds boosters every day alongside creative promotions. Plus, it bought out William Hill US, so you get the best of both brands on one consolidated platform.
BetRivers Online Sportsbook Bonus Code
- Best for casual bettors due to 100% deposit match up to $250 with a 1x playthrough requirement
- Available on iOS (most states), Android, and website browser
- Also available as SugarHouse in Pennsylvania
- Promo code updated for August 2022
Visit: BetRivers Sportsbook to claim a 100% deposit match bonus up to $250 – bonus code BONUSPLAY (FREEBONUS in NJ)
Arguably the best welcome bonus in the industry comes from our BetRivers Online Sportsbook bonus code. Use code BONUSPLAY (FREEBONUS in NJ) for a 100% deposit match up to $250 with just 1x playthrough requirement. That means you only need to bet through the deposit and bonus amount one time before withdrawing associated winnings.
It’s also a good idea to check the BetRivers house specials, which are odds boosters centered around the hottest events of the week. For example, you can find big World Series prop boosts and two-leg parlay boosts most weeks of the NFL season.
But even if it offered nothing else, the BetRivers Online Sportsbook promo code makes this bookmaker worth it. It just doesn’t get any better than a 1x playthrough, especially when it gets you up to $250 in bonus money.
FanDuel Online Sportsbook Promo Code
- Best for a $1,000 no sweat first bet
- Available on iOS, Android, and website browser
- Bonus code updated for August 2022
Along with its closest competitor, DraftKings, the FanDuel Online Sportsbook holds a position as one of the most popular online sports betting platforms in the US. And the FanDuel Online Sportsbook bonus code keeps bringing them in – for good reason.
A no sweat first bet is really just different terminology to say a risk-free bet. If your first bet loses, you receive free bets equal to the amount of that wager. However, FanDuel offers one of the best $1,000 risk-free bets because the minimum wager for the FanDuel Online Sportsbook bonus code link is just $10. The maximum is $1,000. So you just have to bet within that range. Terms and conditions apply.
PointsBet Online Promo Code
- Best for two risk-free bets up to $2,000
- Available on iOS, Android, and website browser
- Promo code updated for August 2022
Visit: PointsBet Sportsbook to claim 2 risk-free bets worth up to $2,000 total – use exclusive code: 2000BET
The PointsBet Online promo code is automatically applied using the link above. You can also copy and paste the promo code 2000BET to ensure you lock in the deal. With the bonus offer, new members can place two risk-free bets up to $2,000 in total.
“PointsBetting” is a style of wagering that’s exclusive to PointsBet Online. This bet awards (or takes) more money depending on the margin of victory (or loss) for totals bets. For example, you receive a multiplier for every point that’s over the over/under for an NBA game. That multiplier applies to both the winnings and the losing wager, so this can be risky as well as rewarding.
With the PointsBet promo code, you receive a risk-free traditional bet up to $500. You also receive a risk-free PointsBetting wager up to $1,500. That means the best way to try out a PointsBetting wager is with the PointsBet Online promo code above.
Unibet Online Sportsbook Bonus Code
- Best for up to $500 risk-free bet with code BETBONUS
- Available on iOS, Android, and website browser
- Bonus code updated for August 2022
The Unibet Online Sportsbook offers a huge market depth and a setup ideal for intermediate to expert gamblers. You can use the Unibet Online Sportsbook bonus code BETBONUS for a risk-free bet up to $500 to try it out (amount varies by state). This platform is extremely well known in Europe, and it’s quickly gaining steam in the US. If you like to bet on both international and domestic sports, few brands can compete with Unibet Online.
Sports Betting News For August 2022
- 2022 Stanley Cup Finals have concluded, with the Colorado Avalanche winning a dramatic six-game series. The Avalanche are already favorites to win the 2023 Stanley Cup according to the current NHL odds.
- The 2022 NBA Finals have concluded in a six-game series that saw Steph Curry lead the Golden State Warriors to his fourth ring and the team’s seventh. The Boston Celtics couldn’t keep their run going, but with a young, strong team, next year is looking better than ever to end a 15-year drought.
- 2022 MLB Season is already two months underway. The New York Yankees have stormed out to the best record in baseball, thanks to excellent pitching and dominant hitting. However, the Los Angeles Dodgers remain the the favorites to win the 2022 World Series at most sportsbooks. See the current World Series odds, plus the best sportsbook promotions and real-time baseball odds updates.
- Soccer’s World Cup 2022 Draw took place in April, solidifying the Group Stage matchups for most of the teams. The groups are interesting this year since there are well-balanced matchups and no “groups of death” like before. See the current World Cup odds 2022 for great pre-tournament value.
- Ontario, Canada Legalized Online Gambling. This includes licensed online sportsbooks, casinos, and poker sites starting a few months ago. Here’s a list of the best Ontario sports betting codes for new signups. The latest app to launch was the highly-anticipated DraftKings Ontario.
- It’s the NFL offseason…or is it? It’s never not football season and now that the 2022 schedule has been set, it’s time to figure out if you’ll stick to old favorites or jump on the bandwagon to some new faces. Will Russell Wilson change Denver’s fortunes? Is the roster the Saints have lined up a contender? See their odds and those of other teams for Super Bowl 2023.
States That Will Launch Mobile Sports Betting In 2022
Ohio Online Sports Betting Update
Ohio has an official launch date of January 1st, 2023. This was the deadline that Kansas legislation placed upon online sports betting, but many had hoped that the industry could launch even sooner in the Sunflower State. However, after its meeting on June 1st, the Ohio Casino Control Commission declared the start of the new year to also be the start of the new era for Buckeye bettors.
Kansas Online Sports Betting Update
Online sports wagering has been signed into law in Kansas, so now it is jut a waiting game to see when apps can and will officially launch. Most industry insiders expect that to happen in the fall of 2022, grabbing on to the success of at least some of the NFL season.
Maryland Online Sports Betting Update
Maryland legalized online sports wagering early last year, and sportsbook apps are expected to launch in by the end of 2022 or maybe early 2023. The Maryland State Lottery and Gaming Commission will award up to 60 sports betting licenses, a high number that is very unique for the industry. Most states have fewer than a dozen options.
Some of the initial licenses are in the process of being approved, which feature large sportsbook operators like BetMGM, DraftKings, and Caesars, which all have partnerships with the Baltimore Ravens.
Canada Online Sports Betting Update
Folks in Ontario, Canada, now have access to fully legal online sportsbooks, including top operators, like DraftKings, BetMGM, and Caesars. Here’s all the sports betting information in Canada that we know so far.
Florida Online Sports Betting Update
A collective groan echoed from sports bettors in Florida when the federal government suspended all online sports betting last year. The hope is that online sports betting is back up and running sometime in 2022. Retail sportsbooks for in-person betting was also rejected. However, bettors can win cash prizes playing casino games at sweepstakes sites in Florida, but the state caps winnings at $5,000.
The Future Of Online Sports Betting In The US
More states will eventually join the list of states with legal online sports betting, as the industry continues to expand in the US. Several states already have legislation in place to offer legal mobile sports betting, with the launch of products in those states pending.
Arkansas, Mississippi, North Carolina, and New Mexico currently offer legal retail sports betting. It’s quite possible that online sports betting regulation could be on the horizon in those states as well. In New York and Louisiana, retail sports betting launched long before the online sports betting launches of early 2022.
Best Online Sports Betting Promo Codes By State
Arizona Sportsbook Bonus Codes
Sports bettors looking for a quality introduction to some of the best sportsbooks in Arizona can use the list below to quickly access the welcome bonuses. All Arizona sports bet bonus codes and links are tested regularly to ensure they’re the most up-to-date deals for August 2022:
- DraftKings Arizona: Best overall bonus offer >> $50 Free Bet + 20% deposit match up to $1,000
- BetMGM Arizona: Best for multiple free bets >> Risk-free bet up to $1,000 with bonus code PLAYSPORTS
- Caesars Arizona: Best for risk-free on your first bet >> risk-free up to $1,500 with promo code SBBONUS15
- FanDuel Arizona: Best for betting credits >> No sweat first bet up to $1,000
- Unibet Arizona: Best for smaller budgets >> $200 in free bets with promo code BETBONUS
If you prefer to bet in person in Arizona, you’re in luck. While you can’t get the same bonuses at the brick-and-mortar locations, the electric atmospheres at Arizona sports betting lounges make them worth a visit.
Many companies have partnered with sports franchises in the state. BetMGM plans to open up a sportsbook at State Farm Stadium, where the Arizona Cardinals play, in addition to multiple Gila River Hotels and Casinos locations. FanDuel has partnered with the Phoenix Suns, and Caesars is linked to the Arizona Diamondbacks. DraftKings is building a sportsbook at the TPC Scottsdale golf course. WynnBET announced a partnership with San Carlos Apache Tribe.
Learn more about Arizona sports betting bonuses.
Colorado Sportsbook Bonus Codes
Colorado sports betting promo codes come from more than 20 different online sportsbooks. But the best options are the following:
- DraftKings Colorado: Best for an exclusive Bonus.com offer >> $50 free bet + 20% bonus up to $1,000
- BetMGM Colorado: Best for trying special features with a $1,000 risk-free bet (bonus code PLAYSPORTS)
- Caesars Sportsbook Colorado: Best for up to $1,500 in a bet risk-free if that first bet loses with promo code SBBONUS15
- BetRivers Sportsbook Colorado: Best for a 100% deposit match up to $250 with great T&Cs (bonus code: BONUSPLAY)
- Betfred Colorado: Best for a bet $50, get $250 promo
- MaximBet Sportsbook Colorado: Best for 100% deposit match up to $1,000
- FanDuel Colorado: Best for DFS players and sportsbook bettors (no sweat first bet up to $1,000)
Keep in mind that we previously listed the William Hill promo code for Colorado, but it has since been rebranded to Caesars Online Sportsbook. It’s the same level of quality, but now it’s integrated with the highly popular Caesars Rewards program. That means you can earn rewards points using the Caesars Online promo code in Colorado as well as betting in-person at Isle Casino Hotel and Lady Luck Casino in Black Hawk.
Learn more about Colorado sports betting sites.
Connecticut Sportsbook Bonus Codes
Connecticut recently launched online sports betting and casinos, and the CT online betting promotions were excellent right from the start. The sports betting platforms include FanDuel (Mohegan Sun), SugarHouse (CT Lottery), and DraftKings (Foxwoods). Here are the best CT online sports betting promo codes:
- FanDuel Connecticut: Promo code best for a no sweat first bet up to $1,000
- SugarHouse Connecticut: Promo code best for doubling your first deposit up to $250 with code BONUSPLAY
While this is a highly limited number of options, the Connecticut sports betting market includes two of the best brands in US sports betting. And there’s no law against taking advantage of both from anywhere within state lines.
Illinois Sportsbook Bonus Codes
Illinois recently abolished its in-person registration requirement. So now, sports betting promo codes can be applied totally online. This is great news for bettors, giving them a lot of risk-free betting and bonus money. Here are the best options:
- DraftKings Illinois: Register now for a $50 free bet + a 20% deposit match up to $1,000
- BetMGM Illinois: Register now for a risk-free bet up to $1,000 with bonus code PLAYSPORTS
- FanDuel Illinois: Register now for a no sweat first bet up to $1,000
- PointsBet Illinois: Register now for 2 risk-free bets up to $2,000 with promo code 2000BET
- BetRivers Illinois: Register now to double your funds up to $250 with code BONUSPLAY
With one of America’s biggest cities in the Land of Lincoln, you would expect that all the best sportsbooks would launch in the state. That is exactly what has happened, and the fact that bettors no longer have to register in person makes them even more accessible.
Learn more about Illinois sports betting bonuses.
Indiana Sportsbook Bonus Codes
Indiana offers some of the best online sports betting options in the US, with the top brands competing with lucrative welcome offers. Here are the best Indiana online sportsbook bonus code offers:
- DraftKings Indiana: Promo code is the best offer, with a $50 free bet + a 20% deposit-match up to $1,000
- BetMGM Indiana: Bonus code PLAYSPORTS gets you a risk-free bet up to $1,000, refunded as multiple free bets
- Caesars Indiana: Promo code is SBBONUS15 for risk-free bet up to $1,500
- BetRivers Indiana: Promo code BONUSPLAY has the best T&Cs >> 100% match up to $250 with a 1x playthrough
- FanDuel Indiana: Promo code gets you a no sweat first bet up to $1,000
- Unibet Indiana: Promo code best for a risk-free bet up to $100, refunded as a free bet (promo code: BETBONUS)
- PointsBet Indiana: Promo code best for 2 risk-free bets up to $2,000 with promo code 2000BET
Like most other US states, these brands operate as license partners of Indiana’s retail casinos. For example, the BetMGM sportsbook is partnered with Belterra Casino Resort in Southern Indiana. So Indiana bettors have tons of options for both online and in-person sports betting bonus codes and promotions.
Learn more about Indiana sports betting sites.
Iowa Sportsbook Bonus Codes
Iowa sports betting promo codes are on par with its Midwest neighbors Illinois and Indiana despite having a significantly smaller population. But with Hawkeye State sports fandom as big as it is, this should come as no surprise. Here are the best offers running in Iowa right now:
- DraftKings Sportsbook Iowa: Promo code applied with link >> $50 free + 20% deposit match up to $1,000
- BetMGM Sportsbook Iowa: Bonus code PLAYSPORTS applied with link >> Risk-free bet up to $1,000
- Caesars Sportsbook Iowa: Promo code SBBONUS15 applied with link >> 100% risk-free bet up to $1,500
- BetRivers Sportsbook Iowa: Bonus code for 100% deposit-match up to $250 with a 1x playthrough
- Unibet Sportsbook Iowa: Bonus code BETBONUS for Risk-free bet up to $100
- FanDuel Sportsbook Iowa: Promo code applied with link >> No sweat first bet up to $1,000
- PointsBet Iowa: Promo code 2000BET for 2 risk-free bets up to $2,000 total
Best of all, the in-person registration requirement that Illinois has to deal with is far in the Iowa’s past. That gives bettors the opportunity to get as many of these Iowa sportsbook bonus codes as they want from anywhere in the state.
Learn more about Iowa sports betting bonuses.
Louisiana Online Sports Betting Promo Codes
Louisiana online sports betting is officially live. Here are the top five promotions you can claim today:
- DraftKings Louisiana – Best for a $50 free bet with a $5+ deposit
- BetMGM Louisiana – Best for a risk-free bet up to $1,000 with bonus code PLAYSPORTS
- Caesars Louisiana – Best for a risk-free bet up to $1,500 with promo code SBBONUS15
- BetRivers Louisiana – Best for a 100% deposit-match for up to $250 in betting credits (bonus code: BONUSPLAY)
- FanDuel Louisiana – Best for a no sweat first bet up to $1,000 back
Keep in mind that only 55 out of the 64 parishes in Louisiana voted “yes” to legalize sports betting. That means you must be 21 years old and located in one of those parishes (residency is not a requirement) to bet at any of the legal online sportsbooks in Louisiana. Thankfully, both New Orleans and Baton Rouge are in legal parishes.
Learn more about Louisiana sports betting bonuses.
Bettors in the Wolverine State can take advantage of any of the following Michigan sportsbook promo codes:
- DraftKings Michigan: Best for long-term sports bettors due to 20% deposit match up to $1,000 with 5x playthrough.
- BetMGM Michigan: Best for a $1,000 risk-free bet to be refunded as multiple free bets (bonus code: PLAYSPORTS)
- Caesars Sportsbook Michigan: Best for a risk-free bet up to $1,500 (promo code: SBBONUS15)
- BetRivers Michigan: Best for casual bettors due to 100% deposit match up to $250 with a 1x playthrough requirement (bonus code: BONUSPLAY)
- FanDuel Michigan: Best for a $1,000 no sweat first bet
- PointsBet Michigan: Best for two risk-free bets up $2,000 total (one fixed-odds wager, one PointsBetting wager) with promo code 2000BET
You can also get a bunch of Michigan online casino bonus codes separately from the offers above. If you like to bet on sports and casino games, few states can compete with Michigan. That means both Michigan sportsbook promo codes and casino welcome bonuses, even from the same site.
Learn more about Michigan sports betting online.
New Jersey Sportsbook Bonus Codes
New Jersey online sportsbooks broke the record for most sports betting handle in a single month with over $1 billion worth of wagers. That makes New Jersey the biggest online sports betting market in the country by far. So, it makes sense that the both the selection of sportsbooks and the bonus codes are second to none:
- DraftKings New Jersey Bonus Code: Use link for a $50 free bet + 20% match up to $1,000
- BetMGM New Jersey Bonus Code: Use link for a risk-free bet up to $1,000 with bonus code PLAYSPORTS
- Caesars New Jersey Bonus Code: Use link for a risk-free bet up to $1,500 with promo code SBBONUS15
- BetRivers New Jersey Bonus Code: Use link for a 100% deposit-match up to $250 with bonus code FREEBONUS
- FanDuel New Jersey Bonus Code: Use link for a no sweat first bet up to $1,000
- PointsBet New Jersey Bonus Code: Use link for 2 risk-free bets up to $2,000 with promo code 2000BET
- Unibet New Jersey Bonus Code: Use link for a risk-free bet up to $250 with promo code BETBONUS
Like in other states, the previously-listed William Hill Sportsbook New Jersey promo code has been replaced by the Caesars offer. This is because Caesars Entertainment bought William Hill US and rebranded accordingly. It’s the same level of quality, and you get access to the extremely popular Caesars Rewards program.
If you’re in the Garden State, you also has access to the best New Jersey online casino bonus codes. These are all accessible on top of the sports betting offers above.
Learn more about NJ sports betting online.
New York Online Sports Betting Promo Codes
Online sports betting is officially live in New York! The best NY sports betting bonus offers include:
- DraftKings NY Sportsbook – Get $50 free with a $5 deposit
- Caesars NY Sportsbook – Sign up for a risk-free bet up to $1,500 with promo code SBBONUS15
- FanDuel NY Sportsbook – Make your first bet no sweat up to $1,000 back
- BetMGM NY Sportsbook – Join MGM Rewards with bonus code PLAYSPORTS
- PointsBet NY Sportsbook – Place 2 risk-free bets up to $2,000 total with promo code 2000BET
- BetRivers NY Sportsbook – Claim a 100% deposit-match bonus up to $250 with bonus code BONUSPLAY
Additional sportsbooks launching in the future include WynnBET, Bally Bet, and Resorts Sportsbook.
Learn more about the best NY sportsbook promos.
Pennsylvania Sportsbook Bonus Codes
Pennsylvania, like New Jersey and Michigan, offers a fantastic variety of online casinos and sportsbooks. Sports bettors can enjoy these PA online sports betting promotional codes to get the most bang for their buck:
- DraftKings PA Bonus Code: Deposit $5+ for a $50 free bet + 20% deposit match up to $1,000
- BetMGM PA Bonus Code: Use link to apply bonus code PLAYSPORTS to enter the excellent MGM Rewards program
- FanDuel PA Bonus Code: Get a lost bet refunded up to $1,000
- BetRivers PA Bonus Code: Enjoy 1x playthrough requirements on a 100% deposit-match bonus up to $250 with bonus code BONUSPLAY
- FOX Bet PA Bonus Code: Get FOX Sports analyses while betting + a risk-free bet up to $500
- Unibet PA Bonus Code: Place your first bet risk-free up to $500 with promo code BETBONUS
All of the above online sportsbooks are connected to online casinos, and you can get both the sportsbook intro offer and the online casino welcome bonuses. For example, the DraftKings Sportsbook & Casino app offers it all under one roof in Michigan. Just be sure to read through all the T&Cs before getting in on a bonus offer.
Check out our comprehensive guide to PA online sports betting promos.
Tennessee sports bettors can bet on all the in-state professional teams. So it makes sense that this state is becoming a titan of the industry, pun intended. Here are the best Tennessee sports betting bonus codes you can claim right now:
- DraftKings Sportsbook Promo Code: Tennessee bettors can get a $50 free bet + a 20% deposit bonus up to $1,000
- BetMGM Sportsbook Promo Code: Tennessee bettors get a risk-free bet up to $1,000 with bonus code PLAYSPORTS
- Caesars Sportsbook Promo Code: Tennessee bettors get a risk-free bet up to $1,500 with promo code SBBONUS15
- FanDuel Sportsbook Promo Code: Tennessee bettors get a no sweat first bet up to $1,000
Overall, the Tennessee sports betting market is topnotch. Bettors can get thousands in bonus offers, and the odds are as competitive as it gets.
Virginia Sportsbook Bonus Codes
Virginia sports betting is unique in that the online sportsbooks aren’t connected to land-based casinos. And, while brick-and-mortar casinos are currently under construction, Virginia gambling is strictly online. But online sports betting is more popular than in-person sportsbooks, so most Virginia bettors are just happy it’s legal, especially with these excellent promo code offers:
- DraftKings Virginia: Promo code best for long-term sports bettors due to 20% deposit-match up to $1,000 with 5x playthrough
- BetMGM Virginia: Bonus code PLAYSPORTS best for a risk-free bet up to $1,000, refunded as free bets
- Caesars Virginia: Promo code $1,500 back if your first wager loses
- BetRivers Virginia: Bonus code BONUSPLAY best if you want to double your deposit up to $250 with just a 1x playthrough requirement
- FanDuel Virginia: Promo code best for a $1,000 no sweat first bet
- Unibet Virginia: Promo code BETBONUS best for a $100 risk-free bet, also refunded as a free bet
The Virginia sports betting promo codes cover every type of sports bettor. If you want a deposit-match bonus, go for DraftKings, Caesars, or BetRivers. Terms and conditions apply to all promotional deals.
Learn more about Virginia sports betting.
West Virginia Sportsbook Bonus Codes
The West Virginia online gambling market includes online sportsbooks and casinos, making it one of the most robust in the country. Unfortunately, the market is growing relatively slowly compared to Michigan, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania due to its small population. Fortunately, you can still get in on these highly lucrative West Virginia sportsbook bonus codes:
- DraftKings West Virginia Promo Code: Use link for a $50 Free Bet + a 20% deposit bonus worth $1,000
- BetMGM West Virginia Promo Code: Use link for a risk-free bet worth up to $1,000 with bonus code PLAYSPORTS
- Caesars West Virginia Promo Code: Use link for a risk-free bet up to $1,500 + access to Caesars Rewards (promo code SBBONUS15)
- FanDuel West Virginia Promo Code: Use link for a no sweat first bet up to $1,000 + promotional offers on fantasy sports
- PointsBet West Virginia Promo Code: Use link to get 2 risk-free bets up to $2,000 >> including $1,500 to try out the exclusive PointsBetting wager (promo code 2000BET )
Plus, you can get even better offers with the best West Virginia online casino bonuses. Those include free bonus money just for creating an account, no deposit needed, which isn’t offered by their sportsbook counterparts. Terms and conditions apply.
Learn more about West Virginia sports betting bonuses.
How Does Sports Betting work?
Many legal online sportsbooks offer sign-up bonuses in the form of risk-free bets (also called no sweat bets or first bet insurance). A risk-free bet offers a refund on the first bet made at an online sportsbook, up to a certain amount. The refund only applies if the bet results in a loss.
At BetMGM, for example, new account holders can apply a risk-free bet offer to the first bet on the site, up to $1,000. Other online sportsbooks offering risk-free bet bonuses include PointsBet and FanDuel.
Deposit match bonuses can be found at many legal online gambling platforms, and mobile sportsbooks are no exception. A deposit match bonus awards bonus money that matches a certain percentage of a player’s deposit.
Our exclusive DraftKings promo code link gets new members a $50 free bet for making a $5 deposit. That’s like a 1,000% deposit-match bonus, which is pretty incredible. DraftKings follows that up with a 20% deposit-match up to $1,000 total, and $1 in bonus funds are credited for every $25 wagered (5x playthrough requirement).
At BetRivers, new bettors can enjoy a 100% deposit match bonus up to $250. A $250 deposit is eligible for a $250 bonus, a $100 deposit can earn a $100 bonus, and so on. The deposit match bonus offer usually requires a certain amount of playthrough requirement, or money wagered, to unlock the bonus. BetRivers, again, offers one of the most generous promotions in this aspect as well, requiring just a 1x playthrough.
Wager Match Bonuses
A wager-match bonus is where a sportsbook will match your first bet up to a maximum amount. It’s similar to a deposit-match, but you have to place the bet to receive the bonus funds. And it’s similar to a risk-free bet, except you get the bonus money even if the first bet is a winner. This is relatively uncommon, but with the online sportsbooks regularly changing their welcome offers, it’s worth having on your radar.
No-Deposit Bonus Codes
Some mobile sports betting platforms offer free betting credits just for signing up for a new account. This is becoming a little less common for online sportsbooks in favor of other types of bonus offers. States that are about to launch may have prelaunch bonuses that feature a no-deposit offer to get new users to create an account, which we expect for the upcoming Maryland and Ohio launches sometime this year.
Types Of Sports Bets
Sports bets can be a bit daunting for beginners, but they’re not too complicated once you get a grasp on the most common available wagers. Here are some of the most common bets at legal sportsbooks.
Moneyline, Point Spreads, And Totals
These three bets are often listed side by side and are commonly the first bets you’ll see for a given match-up.
Moneyline bets simply require you to choose a winner of a given match. The odds (which we cover below) on that match then determine how much you win if you chose correctly. If you see moneyline bets available, all you have to do is pick the team or player you expect to win.
Point spreads are intended to even the playing field for a match. Instead of picking an outright winner, you’re betting on the margin of victory. Here’s an example of how a point spread bet might look:
- Chicago Bears -3.5
- Green Bay Packers +3.5
The 3.5 on both teams represents the margin of victory, and players have to decide whether the Bears will win by at least 3.5 points. After the game ends, if you selected the Bears and they won 24-20, you would collect on your bet because they won by 4 points. If the final score was Bears winning 21-20 and you selected the Bears, you would lose your bet because they did not win by at least 3.5 points.
If you’ve heard the term “over/under,” it’s likely been in reference to totals bets. Totals take the final combined total score of both teams in a match and have players bet on whether that score will be over or under a certain threshold. Using our example match-up above, it might look like this:
- Bears vs. Packers, Over/Under 50.5
You would place a bet on either the over or the under. If the total points at the end of the game exceeded 50.5, the over wins. If the total is below 50.5, the under wins. If the score was 24-21, the total points would add to 45 and the under would be the winning bet.
Other Bet Types
You can find plenty of other bets at online sportsbooks, too. Each bet has its own advantages and disadvantages.
- Parlays: Combine multiple simple bets into a single pool and you only win if every choice you make is correct. High payout potential, but harder to win than a single bet.
- Futures: Bet on a match occurring in the future. For example, betting on an NFL champion before the regular season begins. High risk, high reward.
- In-Game/Live Betting: Wager on events happening in a currently live match.
- Prop Bets: Wager on an in-game event not necessarily affecting the final score or outcome. For example, “Will Tom Brady score two passing touchdowns in the first half?”
How To Read Sports Betting Odds
Odds determine how much you’ll receive if you bet correctly. To new bettors, they can be intimidating, but they’re easier to understand than they look at first glance.
How Odds Are Determined
Odds are first set by the likelihood of one outcome to occur over the other. You will almost always see a higher payout on an unlikely bet than a wager on the favorite of a match. Once the initial odds are set, they can change based on how many bettors are wagering on either side. This is to balance out the sportsbook’s earnings on each bet.
Odds could also change based on events outside of a game. For example, if a starting quarterback is unexpectedly benched due to an injury, the odds on that team to win could plummet.
At US sportsbooks, odds are displayed as positives and negatives. Let’s use a moneyline bet as an example and pretend once again the Bears are playing the Packers:
- Bears +112
- Packers -136
When a team has a negative number (Packers -136), it means that team is favored to win the match. A positive number (Bears +112) means that team is the underdog. These odds also determine payouts.
If you bet on the favorite (Packers -136), you would need to wager $136 to win $100. Negative odds essentially mean you need to bet that amount to win $100.
Betting on the underdog is slightly different. The +112 on the Bears means you would win $112 if you bet $100. Because the underdog is less likely to win statistically, the payout potential is better.
Find The Best Odds
If multiple sportsbooks are available in your state, peruse the available odds to find the best possible payouts. PointsBet, for example, usually offers great odds on the underdog while FanDuel tends to give better payouts on the favorite. These change frequently, so always check your options before you place a bet.
See our full Guide To Sports Betting Odds.
Sports Betting Words To Know
|Action||Having “action” is meant to indicate you have a vested interest in a match. If you placed a bet on a match, you could say you have “action” on that match.|
|Bonus||An added benefit or reward, usually given to new players as a thank you or to frequent players for crossing certain spending thresholds|
|Bankroll||The amount of money you’re willing to risk or bet at a sportsbook|
|Edge||An advantage, either real or perceived, that a bettor has over the sportsbook’s odds|
|Even Money||A bet with a 50-50 outcome, aka an even chance for either side to win|
|Handle||Number of bets taken by a sportsbook|
|Lines||Another term for point spread. A “line” is set on matches with a favorite and an underdog to make the outcome more even.|
|Live betting||Wagering on a game or match after it has already started.|
|Margin||The difference between the odds of a match and the true probability of the outcome.|
|Odds||Numbers assigned to bets meant to indicate the likelihood of specific outcomes.|
|Prop bet||A bet on an in-game event not likely to affect the outcome of the match. For example: Will Khalil Mack record a sack in the second half?|
|Push||Result of a tie between the bettor and the sportsbook. No money is won and no money is lost in a push, you keep your wager but receive no winnings.|
|Spread||Like “lines,” a spread is set to encourage bets on either side of a match-up by giving a point advantage to the predicted underdog.|
|Exotics||Exotics are less common bet types beyond point spreads, moneylines, or totals. Some might consider parlays or pro bets to be “exotic.”|
What Sports Can You Bet On In The US?
Betting On US Pro Sports
Legal online sportsbooks in the US offer a robust selection of betting markets on US professional sports leagues.
US bettors can find moneyline, point spread, parlays, and numerous other betting options for NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA, and MLS games. Virtually every game from the regular season and postseason is available for betting at legal mobile sportsbooks. You can bet on the Super Bowl online as well.
Moneyline and point spread betting on individual games present just a piece of the betting opportunities available on US major sports leagues. Other ways to bet include futures markets, in-game wagering, and prop bets.
Prop betting isn’t limited to just on-field contests. Bettors can place prop bets on events like the NFL Draft and NBA Draft. Or, they can bet on season-long statistics like NFL rushing leaders, NBA scoring champions, and many other unique wagers.
Most US professional leagues and events offer betting markets with no restrictions. Sports fans can legally bet on home teams from their respective states without worry.
College Sports Betting
College basketball and football represent some of the most wagered-on sports events in the US. The NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Tournament, commonly referred to as “March Madness,” rings in one of the highest-volume betting events on the US sports calendar.
College football, in many states, encompasses loyal and massive fan bases that in some cases eclipse professional sports leagues. Saturdays during college football season draw big sports betting interest. This culminates in the College Football Playoff each winter.
Other college sports, like baseball, hockey, lacrosse, and women’s basketball, present even more betting opportunities at US legal online sportsbooks. More of these niche sports will have limited markets or only be available during significant events.
Betting on college sports, however, can present restrictions in some US states. Some states don’t allow betting on college sports. Others allow betting but put restrictions on local schools and/or player props.
College Sports Betting Restrictions
Several states have restrictions on college sports betting. Most states won’t permit prop bets on college sports, some ban wagers on in-state teams, while some don’t permit college betting at all.
Betting on in-state teams and events is outlawed in New Jersey. For both retail sports betting and wagering at online sportsbooks, New Jersey-based college programs and events are off the menu.
These restrictions include college programs like the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, Princeton Tigers, and Seton Hall Pirates. College sports contests held in New Jersey are also restricted for bettors, even if a New Jersey team isn’t involved.
Rhode Island and New Hampshire sports betting laws dictate similar restrictions. Betting on in-state teams and events is outlawed. Oregon’s lone legal mobile sports betting platform, the Oregon Lottery Scoreboard, outlaws betting on any college sports altogether. Placing any kind of college sports bet in Oregon requires a trip to a legal retail sportsbook.
Bettors in Illinois will be able to place bets on college sports, but they may not bet on Illinois university games. This restriction includes games played in Illinois as well as out-of-state. Betting on in-state teams and events in Iowa is legal, save for a restriction on prop betting.
Individual Sports Betting
Betting on major US professional sports isn’t just limited to team sports. MMA, boxing, golf, NASCAR, and tennis open up even more ways to bet at legal mobile sports betting platforms.
Major fighting events include championship bouts in boxing, UFC, and other MMA promotions.
NASCAR betting markets include races from the NASCAR Cup Series. This features some of the biggest names in US auto racing. Other NASCAR events open for betting include the Xfinity Series and Truck Series.
Men’s and women’s tennis and golf present even more chances to bet on individual-based sports.
International Sports Betting
Overseas sports leagues and events open up a world of possibilities at legal online sportsbooks in the US.
International soccer leagues like the English Premier League, Spanish La Liga, and German Bundesliga are home to some of the most popular sports teams in the world. US bettors looking to wager on clubs like Manchester United, Real Madrid, and Bayern Munich can find those teams and many more on legal mobile sports betting sites.
Other international team sports on the menu at legal online sportsbooks include cricket, rugby, basketball, and baseball leagues from around the world.
International motorsports, along with niche sports like table tennis, give US bettors access to a wide array of sports to bet on outside of the US.
Limitations On Other Betting
The explosion in popularity of esports brings with it a rapidly expanding esports betting market on offshore (illegal and unsafe) gambling sites. However, you can find esports bets in some Nevada, New Jersey, Colorado, and West Virginia sportsbooks. Retail sportsbooks in Michigan and New York often have esports bets as well.
It’s likely that esports will become a huge market at US sportsbooks within the next few years. But right now, things are pretty limited. Common games that appear in sportsbooks are League of Legends, Dota 2, and Counter-Strike: Global Offensive.
Betting on events outside of sports is generally not permitted on US online sportsbooks. This includes betting markets on political elections, award shows, and other non-sports events. However, New Jersey, Indiana, and possibly additional states allow bets on the Oscars and other events.
How Can I Bet On Sports In The US?
iOS Mobile Devices
Most of the legal online sportsbooks operating in the US can be downloaded as mobile apps for iOS devices. These mobile apps allow for betting from the comfort of anywhere within legal state borders.
For iOS devices, legal mobile sportsbooks can be downloaded from the App Store. These apps can be downloaded for free, and allow for betting right from a mobile device.
Make sure to download the app specific to your state. In the case of DraftKings, FanDuel, and other online sportsbooks, the same app is used in all licensed states. BetRivers and others can have state-specific sportsbook apps. If you’re in Illinois, you’ll want to search “BetRivers Illinois,” for example.
Android device users are in luck, as most US mobile sportsbooks are downloadable as Android apps as well.
Although Google Play previously banned real-money gambling apps, it reversed its policy in March of last year. This means that one-by-one sports betting apps are making their debuts on the platform. Most recently, PointsBet launched its app for Android through the Google Play store in July of last year.
Many popular sportsbooks, like BetMGM, DraftKings, and FanDuel, offer their apps on the official store. More apps are likely to appear soon, so check the Google Play store first for your preferred sportsbook. If you don’t find it listed, simply go to the sportsbook’s official website, and download it from there.
The easiest way to start betting at an online sportsbook is directly through a desktop browser. Legal mobile sportsbooks generally operate from a web-based homepage that can be accessed from virtually any desktop or laptop.
However, some online sportsbooks are mobile-only. For example, WynnBET New Jersey is only available via iOS or Android app.
Learn more in our Guide To How To Place A Sports Bet Online.
What Deposit And Withdrawal Options Legal Online Sportsbooks have?
The ACH/eCheck deposit option presents the most widely accepted method of depositing money on a legal online sportsbook.
Deposits made using an electronic check (eCheck) deposit generally become available instantaneously at the sportsbooks of choice. This method is occasionally rejected by the bank but works roughly 80 percent of the time.
ACH/eCheck can also be used to cash out from an online sportsbook.
Some online sports betting sites offer site-branded prepaid cards, which operate as debit cards that can be used for depositing funds.
Online sportsbooks directly issue prepaid cards, which can be loaded with funds via eCheck, debit cards, credit cards, and some other methods. After purchasing a prepaid card, funds can be transferred to an online sportsbook balance immediately, with no need to wait for the physical card to arrive by mail.
Prepaid cards can also be used for withdrawals.
PayPal deposits generally require a few more security steps to go through before a deposit is approved. These extra steps are only a minor inconvenience, however, and worth the effort, as PayPal deposits have nearly a 100% success rate.
Withdrawals are also possible using PayPal.
Most legal mobile sportsbooks accept debit and credit cards for deposits, but this method is regularly declined by the issuing bank. Credit card deposits can also incur cash advance fees from the bank.
Debit and credit cards cannot be used to withdraw funds from an online sportsbook.
Casino Cage Deposit
Most online sportsbooks operate as license partners to land-based casinos. Depositing and withdrawing in-person at the casino cage related to an online sportsbook is a secure but less convenient option.
Legal Online Sports Betting FAQs
Yes. US states can individually decide to offer legal, state-regulated online sports betting. The current boom in the US online sports betting industry happened in the aftermath of a lift on the federal ban on sports betting.
A 1992 mandate called the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act outlawed sports betting in the US, except for Nevada and a few other states. The Supreme Court of the United States overturned PASPA in May 2018, clearing the way for US states to offer legal online sports betting.
21 in most states. The minimum age for legally betting on an online sports wagering platform depends on state laws.
In most US states, 21 is the minimum age. Some exceptions, like Rhode Island, set the minimum age at 18 for online sports betting.
Yes. DraftKings Sportsbook legally operates in several US states.
Online betting is available in AZ, CO, CT, IL, IN, IA, LA, MI, NH, NJ, NY, PA, TN, VA, WV & WY. DraftKings Sportsbook online uses geolocation technology to determine a user’s location at the time of a wager. The DraftKings Sportsbook software blocks bets made outside of the states on this list.
Yes. FanDuel Sportsbook operates legally in AZ, CO, CT, IL, IN, IA, LA, MI, NJ, NY, PA, TN, VA, WV & WY.
Several more states will likely join that list eventually as FanDuel Sportsbooks expands into more US jurisdictions.
No. Legal online sportsbooks generally don’t offer credit lines for betting.
Players earn betting credits and bonus money through various promotions across legal online sports betting sites. This includes earning loyalty points for placing real-money bets. The best online sportsbooks offer a loyalty program, such as iRush Rewards, which is offered by BetRivers and SugarHouse.
Yes, in some states. Online sportsbooks in Colorado, New Jersey, and Nevada often list esports bets. Retail sportsbooks at tribal casinos, which usually aren’t tied to the same gambling laws as commercial casinos, can sometimes offer esports bets as well. This is most common in Michigan and New York State.
Online sportsbooks each operate with their own rules regarding maximum bets size. The terms and conditions at DraftKings Sportsbook, for example, state that the platform can restrict bets where the potential payout exceeds $500,000.
Other platforms, like FanDuel Sportsbook, use different maximum payouts for different sports. Bettors can find more information on betting limits and maximum payouts in the terms and conditions of an online sportsbook.
Yes, at legal, state-regulated online sports betting sites. Legal online sportsbooks operate under the oversight of government regulatory bodies in the US.
Betting at a legal mobile sportsbook carries the same level of security as betting at a legal retail casino.
Offshore/illegal online gambling sites, however, do not guarantee the same level of security.