On Sept. 9, 2021, Gov. Ned Lamont announced that online gaming will launch in October 2021 following the approval of gaming compacts by the Bureau of Indian Affairs. It is possible sports betting could launch even before that day, as part of a soft launch. It might take casino apps a little longer to receive approval.
Nutmeggers will have access to two legally licensed online casino apps: FanDuel Casino and DraftKings Casino. Bonus.com will continue to update this page with everything Connecticut players need to know about the upcoming CT online gambling launch.
Best Connecticut Online Casino Bonuses September 2021
- FanDuel Casino: Best for up to $1,000 risk-free day
- DraftKings Casino: Best for a 100% match up to $2,000 (10x playthrough) + *$60 free on sign up & $25 free with $5 deposit
Connecticut Online Casino Apps Overview
- Casino Welcome Promo: $1,000 risk-free day promotion
- Available Platforms: iOS app, Android app, web browser
- Michigan, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, West Virginia
Mohegan Sun announced a partnership with FanDuel on July 7, 2021. FanDuel, one of the most popular DFS and sportsbook operators in the US, will operate Mohegan Sun’s online casino, mobile sports betting, and DFS moving forward. They will also feature a retail sportsbook in the Mohegan Sun Casino.
FanDuel will also launch a Connecticut sports betting app where new bettors can claim up to $1,000 in a risk free bet offer. That means that new players with FanDuel Connecticut can register, deposit, and claim up to $2,000 in bonus offers.
- Casino Welcome Promo: 100% match up to $2,000
- Available Platforms: iOS app, Android app, web browser
- Current States: Michigan, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, West Virginia
DraftKings is poised to be the online casino and sports betting partner of Foxwoods Resort Casino, which is owned by the Mashantucket Pequot Tribe. While most know about the DraftKings Sportsbook and DFS platforms, DraftKings Casino is a relatively new addition to the US online casino market.
New to DraftKings Casino? Then you can get in on our exclusive welcome bonus. Deposit at least $5 to receive $60 free on sign up plus $25. If you only deposit the minimum of $5, you’ll receive 15x that amount for use on the many games at DraftKings Casino.
DraftKings Casino offers a wide selection of slots and table games, including sports-themed exclusives you can only find at DK. Plus, the DraftKings welcome bonus is a 100% deposit match up to $2,000, which is one of the biggest in the US.
Connecticut Online Casino Bonuses – What To Expect
While the Connecticut Lottery has not yet released an official list of which online casino games will be available, we know what to expect in terms of bonuses and promotions. We can say with total confidence that online casino players in the state will have access to at least some, if not all, of the following bonus offers:
Online casinos often match deposits by a certain percentage up to a maximum amount. For example, in other states, BetRivers Casino offers a 100% welcome bonus of up to $250 with just a 1x playthrough requirement. DraftKings Casino Connecticut will likely offer a 100% welcome bonus up to $2,000, but the playthrough requirement is 10x. So it’s tailored more for those looking to bet there on a somewhat regular basis, versus those who want to deposit, play for a day and then withdraw.
In Michigan, FanDuel Casino offers a $1,000 risk-free day promotion. FanDuel Casino Connecticut will likely offer something similar.
No matter the online casino, it’s always important to read the terms and conditions before opting in. Make sure the games you like to play qualify for the offer, check the playthrough requirements and the time limitations, then opt-in.
It is also valid to deposit into an online casino without any welcome bonuses.
No-Deposit Signup Bonus
The no-deposit signup offer grants new players with bonus funds, no deposit required. You’ll simply need to create an account, then verify your contact information.
The playthrough requirement is usually higher than the welcome bonus, but you’re not actually depositing any of your own money. If you lose all the bonus funds, you’re free of the playthrough requirement anyway.
That means no-deposit signup bonuses are usually worthwhile to try everything out risk-free.
Risk-Free Betting Day
A common online casino offer is the risk-free betting day. New members can receive their net losses back up to a certain amount after the first 24 hours of making a deposit.
For example, FanDuel Casino offers a risk-free betting day up to $1,000. That means if you lost more than you won, FanDuel will refund the difference in betting credits.
For our money, the deposit-match bonuses are the best casino offers. Thankfully, both online casinos coming to Connecticut offer deposit bonuses.
Free spins offers are usually tied to a deposit bonus, but they can sometimes be rewarded separately. For example, you may see a 100% deposit bonus of up to $500 plus 250 free spins. WynnBET Casino uses a different format in that users can receive up to 1,000 free spins for betting $1,000 on the slots.
Prize Pool Tournaments
Leaderboard tournaments offer an opportunity to win additional money for playing games you already enjoy. These tournaments usually take place within a one-week or one-month window, and the players with the most points share the $10,000+ prize pool.
The top players receive the biggest prizes, which may include luxury vehicles or vacation packages as well.
The points structure varies depending on the tournament but typically speaking, you earn points for every bet you place or for every win you achieve.
The best online casinos offer rewards points for placing real-money bets on their games.
A new trend in US online casinos is the ability to link your online rewards account with your existing retail casino rewards account. FanDuel Casino partnered with Motor City Casino in Michigan, and players of both can earn points whether they’re betting online or in person. It is unclear if the same will be the case in Connecticut with either FanDuel or the DraftKings Casino.
Types Of Casino Games Coming To Connecticut
There’s no indication that Connecticut will have more restrictions than any other state with legal online casinos other than being limited to only two options. So you can expect the following online casino gaming options:
- Video Poker
- Casino Poker
All online casinos offer more slots than any other type of game, but some boast dozens of table games. All of the options are typically digital, meaning you’re playing a digital representation of the real-life version.
Live Dealers At Connecticut Online Casinos?
We expect both online casinos from FanDuel and DraftKings to offer live dealer casino games although they may not be ready at launch.
In states with legal online casinos, a common requirement is for live dealer studios to be located within state lines. It’s why West Virginia and Michigan have taken some time to roll out live casino options.
Foxwoods Resort Casino, the partner of DraftKings Casino, already has a live dealer studio. It rented its space out to a company based in Malta to advertise its property to international customers. But that also means the live dealer studio at Foxwoods is up and running.
We expect FanDuel Casino to follow quickly with their own live dealer offering at Mohegan Sun as they operate live casino games in New Jersey and Michigan.
Connecticut Online Gambling Updates
This is the landscape for online gambling in Connecticut:
- Two online casinos: Mohegan Tribe has a partnership with FanDuel and DraftKings partnered with the Mashantucket Pequot Tribe, which operates the Foxwoods Casino.
- Three online sportsbooks: Mohegan Tribe’s online casino, mobile sports betting, and DFS will be operated by FanDuel. The same will apply to DraftKings Connecticut, which will operate its online casino, mobile sportsbook app, and DFS in partnership with the Mashantucket Pequot Tribe. The Connecticut Lottery will also operate a sportsbook in partnership with SugarHouse Sportsbook, but will not operate an online casino.
- Retail sportsbooks: Both DraftKings and FanDuel will operate retail sportsbooks. In addition, the Connecticut Lottery will open up to 15 retail sportsbooks in Connecticut.
How Connecticut Legalized Online Casinos And Sportsbooks
On May 20, 2021, the Connecticut House passed HB 6451, “An Act Concerning Gaming Agreements With The Mashantucket Pequot Tribe And The Mohegan Tribe Of Indians Of Connecticut.”
The bill went into effect on July 1, 2021, and on July 27, Gov. Ned LaMont submitted amended state tribal gaming compacts to the Bureau of Indian Affairs. The final step in the regulatory process before online gambling could launch in Connecticut was the BIA approving those gaming compacts. It did so on Sept. 9, 2021.
Now the Connecticut Department of Consumer Protection is finalizing the licensing process before online gambling launches in October.
Requirements For Betting Online In Connecticut
Most people who live in or visit Connecticut will be able to play at the online casinos. The only requirements are as follows:
- iOS device, Android device, or working computer
- Reliable internet connection
- Physically located within Connecticut state lines
- At least 21 years old
You do not need to be a resident of Connecticut to play at the online casinos or bet on sports.
Banking Options At Connecticut Online Casinos
Some states restrict the type of payment method that an online casino can accept. For example, Iowa bans the use of credit cards as a deposit method.
As mentioned in our article about the best deposit methods for online casinos, you should never use a credit card to deposit anyway. Not only do the transactions often get rejected, but they’re also counted as a cash advance, which means fees and high interest rates.
Here are the best banking options for Connecticut online casinos:
- PayPal: You can deposit and withdraw using the famed e-wallet at many online casinos in the US, which makes it easy to track your online casino expenses as well.
- Skrill: Another e-wallet and PayPal competitor that’s highly popular among international online casino players.
- Online Bank Transfer: Simply use your banking website’s login to transfer money to and from the online casino directly to your checking account.
- ACH/Echeck: The digital version of a written check, so it’s a bit less convenient than online bank transfer but still a totally valid banking method.
- PayNearMe: A deposit-only method with integrated Apple Pay and Google Pay that also allows cash deposits at participating retailers, such as 7Eleven and CVS.
- Prepaid Plus Card: Casino-branded Prepaid Plus cards allow players to keep a designated e-wallet for casino finances while also using the card for everyday transactions.
- Cash At Casino Cage: You should be able to deposit and withdraw cash at the online casino by visiting the partnering retail casino’s cashier.
- Debit Card: A deposit-only method that doesn’t usually have fees but gets rejected at online casinos with a frequency comparable to a credit card.
Connecticut Retail Casino Locations
Both brick-and-mortar casinos in Connecticut offer thousands of slot machines and table games alongside top-tier accommodations. Here’s a snapshot:
|Foxwoods Resort Casino||Mashantucket||Live entertainment; several restaurants; Lake of Isles golf course; chair life; Norwich Spa|
|Mohegan Sun||Uncasville||“Casino of the Sky;” Live shows at Mohegan Sun Arena; Dozens of restaurants; Mohegan Sun Golf Club; Luxury spas|
Other Online Gambling Options In Connecticut
- Connecticut Online Sports Betting: The three Connecticut online sportsbooks should launch at the same time as the two online casinos. FanDuel will launch in partnership with Mohegan Sun Casino, DraftKings has an existing partnership with Foxwoods, and the Connecticut Lottery will partner with SugarHouse.
- Connecticut Online Lottery: The Connecticut online lottery will launch alongside online sportsbooks and casinos. A few other states offer this option as well, such as Illinois and Virginia. The Connecticut Lottery website offers Mega Millions, Powerball, and other games.
- Sweepstakes Poker In Connecticut: Global Poker is owned by the same company that operates Chumba Casino, so the Sweeps Coins structure is the same. Except instead of playing casino games, you’re playing poker against other players, just like you would at the real-money poker sites like WSOP or PokerStars.
Responsible Gaming In Connecticut
Online casinos in Connecticut will have a wide variety of Responsible Gaming tools to help prevent problem gambling. These include deposit limits, restricting the site upon request, and offering assistance to those who need it.
However, at the end of the day, Responsible Gaming comes down to the player. You’ll need to set strict rules for yourself to avoid betting more than you can afford. Gambling can be addictive, and the risk for problem gambling is exponentially higher when betting sites are more available.
Here are some simple strategies to guarantee success at an online casino:
- Set a time limit. Stop when it goes off. Take several days off before returning to the online casino.
- Set a budget. Never go over it. The second you try to make back winnings, you’ve crossed the line into problem gambling.
- Don’t bet while drunk, bored, or upset.
- Keep careful track of all gambling expenses throughout the year.
The player is always at a disadvantage when playing against the casino. That means the only foolproof strategy is to treat it like an entertainment outlet rather than a way to make money. Think of it like admission to a concert venue, and you’ll have your expectations set on having fun – which is right where they should be.
Learn More About Connecticut Online Gambling
- Connecticut Lottery Official Web Site
- “Gambling in Connecticut” Wikipedia Page
- HB 6451 (the Act that legalized online gambling in Connecticut)
- Mohegan Tribe Official Website
- Mashantucket Pequot Tribal Council Official Website
Connecticut Online Casinos FAQs
Yes, but online casinos won’t officially launch in Connecticut until October 7, 2021. A specific date has not been announced, but the regulatory process is finished. Two online casinos will enter the Connecticut market. FanDuel Casino is partnered with Mohegan Sun and DraftKings Casino partnered with Foxwoods Casinos.
Online casinos will launch in Connecticut on October 7th according to the announcement by Gov. Ned Lamont.
The age requirement for online gambling in Connecticut is expected to be 21 and older. The current gambling age in Connecticut is 21 for casino gaming. Bettors 18 and up can play the lottery, daily fantasy sports (DFS), and bet on horses.
No. The CT Lottery partnered with Rush Street Interactive for sports betting, but it cannot offer online casino games due to the legislation requirements stating that there will only be two online casinos operated in partnership with Mohegan Sun and Foxwoods Resort Casino.
The Gaming Division of the Department of Consumer Protection will be in charge of regulating online gambling in Connecticut. The Mohegan Sun will launch a FanDuel retail sportsbook, and FanDuel will operate its online casino and mobile sports betting. Foxwoods Resort Casino will launch a DraftKings retail sportsbook, and DraftKings will operate its online casino and mobile sports betting. The Connecticut Lottery will partner with SugarHouse for an online sportsbook and up to 15 retail sportsbook locations.
DraftKings daily fantasy sports is available in Connecticut, but that’s it. DraftKings Casino and Sportsbook is not yet licensed, but it will be soon and will launch in October.
Yes, net casino winnings for the year are taxed in Connecticut.vThe tax rate will be 18% for all online gambling and will increase to 20% after five years. There will be a 13.75% tax rate on all retail sports betting.
No, that is not a good idea. While DraftKings and FanDuel will be subject to oversight by the Connecticut state government, that is not typically the case with illegal gambling sites. They typically operate in the Wild West of online gambling and have little reason to put the customer first. When Connecticut launches in October, the customer and their money will have extensive protections.