Who is Alex Weldon?
Alex Weldon is an expert on regulated US online gambling who serves as the Casino News Managing Editor for Bonus.com. He began writing about the online gambling industry professionally in 2014. Prior to that, he was a semi-professional poker player, board game designer and video game writer.
Working for Catena Media, he has also served as Managing Editor at Online Poker Report and contributed to PlayUSA, Michigan Sharp and NJGamblingSites.
Before joining Catena, he wrote for Part Time Poker and managed the GameIntel Poker Update, a subscription newsletter for industry executives, tracking and explaining changes in poker site traffic. A degree in astrophysics from Queen’s University has provided him with a solid mathematical foundation for analyzing gambling trends in a quantitative way.
Alex provides insightful content on the regulated online casino and poker industries, with an emphasis on legislation, regulation, responsible gambling and business strategy. His writing about poker has been cited by The Atlantic and has earned him multiple nominations for the American Poker Awards over the years.
Alex Weldon in the Media
- Dawn Wotapka’s Media Movers: Alex Weldon of Bonus, Talking Biz News, Nov 1, 2022
- Get to Know the Poker Media: Alex Weldon, Cardplayer Lifestyle, Aug 15, 2016
- Thinking Poker Podcast, Episode 135, Aug 4, 2015
- Chess is Just Poker Now, The Atlantic, Sep 17, 2022
- Flutter ‘Wholly Surprised’ by Bombshell $1.3 Billion Kentucky Supreme Court Ruling, Poker Industry Pro, Dec 18, 2020
- Poker’s Newest Face, University of Rochester, Sep 2014
Other Writing by Alex Weldon
- The Complex Reality Behind Problem Gambling Calls, PlayUSA, March 12, 2023
- CRYSTAL BALL: Catena Media Team Forecasts the Future of the US Online Poker Market, USPoker, June 24, 2020
Top Bonus.com Articles by Alex Weldon
- Penn State Study Shows Impact of Regulated Gambling on Black Market, March 30, 2023
- Projection: US Online Casino Revenue to Approach $6.5 Billion in 2023, Jan 31, 2023
- Gambling Advertising Overload Hurts the Chances of Further Expansion, Dec 21, 2022
- ‘I Should Have Won by Now!’ – The Mathematics of Losing Streaks, Nov 7, 2022
- The Chess World’s Latest Cheating Scandal Has Parallels to Poker, Sep 13, 2022
- Is Cryptocurrency Speculation Just Another Form of Unregulated Gambling?, July 28, 2022
Social Media & Professional Profiles
Earlier this week, problem gambling self-help app Gambless released its H1 2022 update. It claims to be the #1 search result for “gambling addiction” and related searches in most countries on Google Play. Searches by Bonus confirmed this to be the case in the US and Canada. Searches on iOS devices turned up Gambless in the #5 […]
Whether or not you’re an investor yourself, you’re probably aware by now that cryptocurrencies have crashed in 2022. As of the morning of July 28, 2022, Bitcoin is selling for $23,115. Eight months ago, it was at an all-time high, north of $68,000. Ethereum has fallen from over $4,800 to around $1,600 in a similar […]
In the US, the east coast is leading the way for regulated online casino gaming. Not so in Canada, where the Atlantic Provinces are mainly behind the curve. As of today, Nova Scotia is a little less so. “Canada’s Ocean Playground” has decided to join neighboring New Brunswick in allowing the lottery to offer casino […]
It’s that time of year when we bid farewell to the World Series of Poker until next summer. The Tournament of Champions will conclude tonight, but the final direct buy-in bracelet event (a $1000 super turbo) was already in the history books early Tuesday morning. Due to COVID-19, it’s the first time since 2019 that […]
For most of the history of the market, New Jersey had eight online gambling licenses. The ninth, belonging to Bally’s Atlantic City, only became active this time last year. Summertime is traditionally a slow period for online gambling. There’s less crossover from the sports betting vertical and more competition from other forms of recreation, particularly […]
Slots lovers in Pennsylvania can give each other a high five because new games are on the way. High 5 Games is one of the most original slots developers out there in terms of theme and presentation. Already operating in New Jersey, Michigan, and Connecticut, it has had its eyes on the Keystone State for […]
The story of US online gambling industry strategy is one of tortoises versus hares. Bally’s Corporation has always positioned itself firmly in the former camp. Like almost every company in every industry, Bally’s is on a downswing. From January 1 to the beginning of this week, its stock ($BALY) had lost over half its value. […]
The 2022 World Series of Poker is now in its fourth week. It’s the first year of relative normalcy for the series after COVID-19 threw everything for a loop. It’s also its first year at its new home, spread between Bally’s Las Vegas and the adjacent Paris Las Vegas. Already, the series has produced decent […]
B2B gambling giant Evolution is growing bigger still. It announced today that it would acquire the unique slots developer Nolimit City. The deal is worth an immediate €200 million ($210 million) in cash, plus additional payments contingent on performance. If maxed out, these could make the deal worth €340 million ($358 million) in total. Evolution’s […]