Who is Alex Weldon?
Alex Weldon is an expert on regulated US online gambling who serves as the Casino News Managing Editor for Bonus.com. He began writing about the online gambling industry professionally in 2014. Prior to that, he was a semi-professional poker player, board game designer and video game writer.
Working for Catena Media, he has also served as Managing Editor at Online Poker Report and contributed to PlayUSA, Michigan Sharp and NJGamblingSites.
Before joining Catena, he wrote for Part Time Poker and managed the GameIntel Poker Update, a subscription newsletter for industry executives, tracking and explaining changes in poker site traffic. A degree in astrophysics from Queen’s University has provided him with a solid mathematical foundation for analyzing gambling trends in a quantitative way.
Alex provides insightful content on the regulated online casino and poker industries, with an emphasis on legislation, regulation, responsible gambling and business strategy. His writing about poker has been cited by The Atlantic and has earned him multiple nominations for the American Poker Awards over the years.
Alex Weldon in the Media
- Dawn Wotapka’s Media Movers: Alex Weldon of Bonus, Talking Biz News, Nov 1, 2022
- Get to Know the Poker Media: Alex Weldon, Cardplayer Lifestyle, Aug 15, 2016
- Thinking Poker Podcast, Episode 135, Aug 4, 2015
- New Haven Register, Oct 11, 2023
- Chess is Just Poker Now, The Atlantic, Sep 17, 2022
- Flutter ‘Wholly Surprised’ by Bombshell $1.3 Billion Kentucky Supreme Court Ruling, Poker Industry Pro, Dec 18, 2020
- Poker’s Newest Face, University of Rochester, Sep 2014
Top Bonus.com Articles by Alex Weldon
- Skillz Accuses AviaGames of Using Bots to Cheat Users Amid Patent Lawsuit, Nov 15, 2023
- Penn State Study Shows Impact of Regulated Gambling on Black Market, March 30, 2023
- Projection: US Online Casino Revenue to Approach $6.5 Billion in 2023, Jan 31, 2023
- Gambling Advertising Overload Hurts the Chances of Further Expansion, Dec 21, 2022
- ‘I Should Have Won by Now!’ – The Mathematics of Losing Streaks, Nov 7, 2022
- The Chess World’s Latest Cheating Scandal Has Parallels to Poker, Sep 13, 2022
- Is Cryptocurrency Speculation Just Another Form of Unregulated Gambling?, July 28, 2022
Other Writing by Alex Weldon
- US Online Casinos Will Earn $7.8B This Year — 2024 Market Forecast, PlayUSA, Jan 8, 2024
- The Complex Reality Behind Problem Gambling Calls, PlayUSA, March 12, 2023
- CRYSTAL BALL: Catena Media Team Forecasts the Future of the US Online Poker Market, USPoker, June 24, 2020
Social Media & Professional Profiles
Flutter has announced that Fox Bet has stopped taking bets and will shut down entirely by the end of August, making it the latest casualty of a challenging US sports betting market. The news does not come as a surprise. Last year, I predicted that this would be likely in the wake of arbitration between Flutter and […]
Meta is asking the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals to dismiss a case about whether platform providers can be liable for in-app purchases they facilitate between their users and third-party content providers such as play money casinos. The multidistrict litigation names Meta, Apple, and Google as defendants for their involvement with products like Double Down Casino, which recently settled a […]
The six states with legal online casinos produced a total of $3.14 billion in gross gaming revenue from iGaming in the first half of 2023, putting them roughly on track for the $6.5 billion annual total forecasted by Bonus coming into the year. The industry got off to a slow start to the year in January, but recent months have been […]
The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has cracked down on five “consent farm” networks it says were tricking US citizens into signing up for telemarketing call lists with misleading promises of gifts, special offers, or job opportunities. Bonus has determined that one of the defendants in these cases, RewardZone USA, was involved with the social casino “hack” scam we cautioned […]
By order of the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals, PredictIt and its co-plaintiffs will have their case heard in District Court, and the political futures market may continue to operate until it concludes. The Fifth Circuit panel issued the decision on July 21 following a split 2-1 vote. Judge Stuart Duncan penned the majority opinion, […]
Lawyers for the Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) submitted a new document to the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals on June 28, drawing the court’s attention to a recent Supreme Court decision. The CFTC feels that the ruling in United States v. Texas is pertinent to its attempts to get the court to dismiss the PredictIt case. On the surface, […]
One mystery surrounding Rhode Island’s upcoming online casino market has been solved as Bally’s has announced StakeLogic as its partner for live dealer gaming. At the same time, Bally’s offered additional information about its timeline to launch. Bally Casino Rhode Island is still expected to launch with slots only on March 1, 2024, while live dealer games from StakeLogic will follow in April […]
According to Legal Sports Report (LSR), PlayUp’s foray into the American market may prove to have been short-lived, as CEO Daniel Simic says the company expects to sell its US assets to an unspecified company. Simic told LSR that the buyer is a publicly-traded entity with sufficient senior management staff to run a sports betting operation in the […]
Washington cardroom operator Maverick Gaming will persist in its attempt to undermine the Indian Gaming Regulatory Act (IGRA), even though the odds appear to be more against it than ever. Maverick would like to offer sports betting in Washington and has challenged the law awarding exclusivity over such gambling to the state’s gaming tribes. Although District Court Judge David […]
After a period of downtime on July 10, Unibet Pennsylvania is back up and running, now using the latest online casino and sportsbook platform from owner Kindred Group. Unibet made the same upgrade for New Jersey players in May. That means the company has now rolled out the new platform in both its US online casino markets. […]