The best Massachusetts online casino option isn’t a real money online casino. Right now, the state hasn’t legalized that form of gambling yet. However, players 18 and up can win cash prizes on slots, blackjack, roulette, and more at social and sweepstakes casinos. These sites operate very similarly to traditional real money online casinos, making them a great alternative in a state like Massachusetts that hasn’t yet expanded its online gambling beyond sports betting.
Best Massachusetts Online Casino Gaming for Cash Prizes
Anyone aged 18 or older can legally redeem cash prizes at sweepstakes casinos. These are the best casino sites available in Massachusetts.
of Gold Coins for $10
Gambling is for entertainment purposes only. Stay safe and ensure success when you gamble responsibly. Gambling problem? Call or text 1-800-GAMBLER for confidential support. Visit SAMHSA’s National Helpline website for resources that include a treatment center locator, anonymous chat, and more.
How Massachusetts Sweeps Sites Work
This type of online casino — known as a sweepstakes casino or social casino — provides two types of coins: Gold Coins and Sweeps Coins. Play with Gold Coins just for fun, or play with Sweeps Coins to win cash prizes. The Sweeps Coins you win on casino games can be redeemed for cash prizes or gift cards. Minimums for redemption range from $20 to $100.
How We Rank the Best Massachusetts Online Casinos
We start out by making a list of every social and sweepstakes online casino that accepts players based in Massachusetts. Our experts sign up with each site and test it out in extensive detail, before ranking MA online casinos in descending order of their overall quality. These are the key areas we analyze:
- Security: We vet each MA online casino carefully to ensure it is secure and reliable. Our reviewers will only consider online casinos that operate legally in Massachusetts. The online casino games must be fair, the security measures must be robust, and it must have a reputation for paying out on time when customers redeem cash prizes.
- Game Selection: Our reviewers then switch their focus to the casino game variety and quality at each online casino in Massachusetts. Several sites fall by the wayside at this stage, as they offer an underwhelming portfolio of games. We will only shortlist sites that offer a large array of well-designed games.
- Promotions: Next, we consider the bonuses and promotions at each MA online casino. Our experts analyze the no deposit sweepstakes casino bonuses, the rewards program, daily login offers, daily bonuses, contests, and other promotions. Any sites that offer large, frequent bonuses with simple requirements will score highly at this stage.
- Redemptions: We redeem cash prizes and gift cards at each site to check how quick and easy the online casino payment process is. Our reviewers consider the redemption limits, the withdrawal speeds, and the range of payment options on offer.
- User Experience: The user experience is another key consideration. We will rule out any sites that are clunkily designed, difficult to navigate, unreliable, and prone to crashing. Our experts are looking for clean pages, simple navigation systems, and reliable software, which is optimized for computers, Android devices, and iOS devices.
- Customer Service: Finally, we test out the level of customer support at each online casino in Massachusetts. We look for casinos that can provide quick, effective customer service via multiple channels, preferably on a 24/7 basis. If an online casino nails these categories, it will make our final list of the top casino sites in Massachusetts. Here’s more on online casino complaints and resolutions.
Massachusetts Online Gambling Snapshot
|Real Money Online Casinos
|Massachusetts has not legalized real money online casinos, but you can play games at social and sweepstakes casino sites.
|Online Sports Betting
|Online sports betting has been legal in Massachusetts since March 2023.
|The Bay State has not passed any legislation to allow online poker sites either.
|Play the lottery online in Massachusetts via the Jackpocket app.
|Daily Fantasy Sports apps have been available in Massachusetts for many years, although the state has never explicitly permitted them to operate.
|Online Horse Betting
|Massachusetts legalized pari-mutuel betting in 1934, and online racebooks such as TwinSpires, TVG, and FanDuel Racing are available in MA.
Online Casino Games in Massachusetts
The best online casinos in Massachusetts offer hundreds of slots. Some also allow you to play virtual table games, and a few host live dealer games.
Slots in Massachusetts
Online slots are simple, accessible, and fast-paced. They come in dozens of themes, from Ancient Egypt and Irish luck to outer space and a zombie apocalypse. These are the main types of slots found at Massachusetts online casinos:
- Classic Slots | Simple games like stepper slots that generally feature just 3 reels and classic symbols such as bells and cherries. They normally have a low volatility level, which appeals to players who enjoy small, regular wins.
- Video Slots | This term applies to most of the modern slots at land-based and online casinos in Massachusetts. They normally have at least 5 reels, and the slot volatility level can be low, medium, or high. These games have distinct slot themes, and the best slots provide a wide range of bonus features to create a varied, immersive experience.
- Megaways Slots | The Megaways feature allows an online slot to offer more than 100,000 potential ways to win. Many popular slots have now been relaunched as Megaways slots.
- Jackpot Slots | These games appeal to players seeking to win a large stack of Gold Coins or Sweeps Coins from a relatively small bet. Some games have fixed jackpots, but the slots that generate the greatest interest have progressive jackpots. They are not fixed, so they will grow larger until one player wins the grand prize.
Table Games in Massachusetts
Some of the top online casinos in Massachusetts allow you to play virtual table games with Gold Coins or Sweeps Coins. These are some of the most commonly available options:
You will often find multiple blackjack and roulette games. Poker-style games are popular too, including video poker and virtual table poker, such as Let It Ride or Casino Hold’em.
Some sites also allow you to stream a table game from a studio or a retail casino. You can watch an actual dealer spin the wheel or deal the cards, and a chat box will allow you to interact with the dealer and other players while betting on the action.
More Massachusetts Online Casino Games
Certain MA online casinos will also offer a range of additional games. For example, the “Arcade Games” section at Pulsz Casino features Book of Keno, Hilo Deluxe, Triple Plinko, Bubbles Keno, Classic Mines, Classic Dice, and Classic HiLo.
Some sites also host live online bingo games run by friendly hosts. Online scratchcards may be available too. Just visit the arcade games, variety games, specialty games, or originals section to find these options.
History of Gambling in Massachusetts
Gambling was popular throughout Massachusetts during colonial times. There were various private lotteries and card games took place too. The first gambling laws were introduced in 1719, banning all lotteries. They were reinstated in 1745 when Massachusetts authorized an official lottery for the first time. But they were outlawed again in 1833.
The Massachusetts Lottery was established in 1971. There are now various in-house draw games, and it is also part of multi-state games such as Powerball and Mega Millions. Charity bingo games were also legalized in 1971. They are overseen by the Massachusetts State Lottery Commission.
In November 2011, Gov. Deval Patrick signed theExpanded Gaming Act into law. It allowed three land-based casinos to be built. The state was divided into three regions, with a single brick-and-mortar casino for each region. Plainridge Park was granted a license to offer slot machines and video poker terminals. It opened in June 2015. MGM Springfield became the first Las Vegas-style casino in Massachusetts when it launched in August 2018, followed by Encore Boston Harbor in June 2019. They are overseen by the Massachusetts Gaming Commission.
Gov. Charlie Baker signed a sports betting bill into law in August 2022. It allowed Plainridge Park, MGM Springfield, and Encore Boston Harbor to host two online sportsbooks apiece on their master licenses. Racing tracks were also permitted to host an online sports betting skin, taking the total MA online sportsbooks to a maximum of 15. The first apps launched in March 2023. No bills have sought to legalize online real money casinos or poker rooms in the state.
Retail Casinos in Massachusetts
There are currently three commercial land-based casinos in Massachusetts. They support more than 17,000 jobs and have a $3.82 billion annual economic impact, according to the American Gaming Association.
The state does not yet have any tribal casinos, but the Mashpee Wampanoag Tribe hopes to construct a casino called First Light Resort & Casino in Taunton. These are the current land-based casinos to visit in Massachusetts:
- Encore Boston Harbor
- MGM Springfield
- Plainridge Park
Massachusetts Online Casinos – Bottom Line
Massachusetts has a few large casino resorts, but there are no plans to legalize real money online casinos in the Bay State. The best option is to visit a high-quality online social or sweepstakes casino. They allow you to play a wide range of games in a secure environment, and you can potentially redeem cash prizes or gift cards.
There are lots of sweepstakes online casinos to choose from in Massachusetts. The best sites offer no-purchase bonuses to stand out from the competition and attract new players. If you click the links displayed on this page, you will qualify for the no-purchase promos at our recommended MA online casinos.
More Resources for Massachusetts Online Gamblers
American Gaming Association – Massachusetts
Expanded Gaming Act
Massachusetts Council on Gaming and Health
Massachusetts Gaming Commission
Massachusetts Office of Problem Gambling Services
Online Casinos in Neighboring States
Massachusetts Online Casinos FAQ
No, Massachusetts has not yet legalized real money online casinos. The Bay State has legalized online sports betting and pari-mutuel betting, but legislators have not yet tried to introduce real money casino apps. In the meantime, you can use social and sweepstakes casinos online in Massachusetts.
Yes, Massachusetts players can redeem cash prizes at online casinos such as WOW Vegas, Pulsz, and High 5 Casino. They adhere to Massachusetts’ sweepstakes laws, as they run sweepstakes contests rendered in the form of online slots and table games. You will be able to redeem cash prizes if you successfully play through Sweeps Coins at those MA online casinos.
You must be 21 or older to play games at a land-based casino in Massachusetts. The minimum age for online and in-person sports betting is also 21. Anyone aged 18 or older can buy lottery tickets, play charity bingo games and pull-tabs, take part in sweepstakes contests, or place pari-mutuel bets on horse and dog races in Massachusetts.
There are three commercial casinos in Massachusetts: Encore Boston Harbor, MGM Springfield, and Plainridge Park Casino. Encore and MGM Springfield are both casino resorts, while Plainridge Park is a harness racing track with a slots parlor and video poker machines. The Bay State does not have any tribal casinos, but the Mashpee Wampanoag Tribe plans to build one in Taunton.
You can play slots and table games at land-based casinos such as Encore Boston Harbor and MGM Springfield in Massachusetts. Online casinos such as High 5 Casino and Pulsz offer a similar range of games: slots, blackjack, roulette, baccarat, poker-style games, and so on. You can play for fun or try to win cash prizes in sweepstakes mode.