For the first time since mid-March, the iconic Mirage Casino on the Las Vegas Strip will be open for business starting Aug. 27, MGM Resorts announced this week. The company says it will be emphasizing the health and safety of its guests and employees with its “Seven-Point Safety Plan.”
“As we have slowly and thoughtfully reintroduced our properties across the country, we have placed the health and safety of our guests and employees first at all times,” said Bill Hornbuckle, MGM Resorts’ CEO and President. “Reopening The Mirage allows us to bring many more of our employees back to work, which is critical in the recovery of our community.”
Among the new safety initiatives gamblers will find upon re-entering the former home of Seigfried & Roy:
- All employees and guests will be required to wear masks, which will be included for free as needed.
- Social distancing, including markings on the floor indicating how far apart patrons must remain.
- Plexiglass barriers in areas where social distancing is a challenge.
- Electrostatic sprayers used in public spaces to apply disinfectant on common surfaces.
- Addition of digital menus, accessible by app, to avoid sharing physical food and drink menus.
- Valet parking is suspended.
The company says its safety plan was designed “in conjunction with medical and scientific experts,” noting that it “continues to evaluate and evolve its safety protocols.” However, the Mirage’s reopening comes at a tenuous time for Nevada, which has reported a record number of weekly fatalities for four consecutive weeks. Of Nevada’s 1,072 Covid-19 deaths so far, 910, or just shy of 85% of them have been in Clark County, where Las Vegas is located.
Bars in Las Vegas were briefly allowed to reopen on June 30, but were shuttered again on July 27 out of an abundance of caution as cases in the state began to climb.