You can find a lot of myths online about playing slots. For example, some “experts” say that the biggest progressive jackpots are “due to win.” In reality, the biggest progressives are the hardest to win. But some slots tips actually do work, and we compiled them all to give you everything you need to play slots like a pro.
Learn Basic Slots Strategy
The result of a slots spin is based entirely on luck. However, you can set yourself up for that spin to give you more (and bigger) wins. Here’s how:
- Setting Your Line/Coin Value: Slots with paylines pay out multipliers that apply to a single payline (except for scatter wins, which usually pay out on total wager). That means the higher the line value, the higher the wins. For coin slots, the value of the coins applies to both your bets and wins, so the bigger the coin value, the bigger the payouts.
- Playing Max Lines/Coins: If you’re playing a slot with paylines, each one can win independently. That means the more lines you play, the more chances you have of winning. So you’re better off playing 20 lines at $0.05 each than one line at $1.00. If you’re playing with coins, more coins usually unlock the biggest payouts.
- Reading The Rules Of The Specific Slot: Every slot has its own set of rules and features. Check the “info” section before you dive in to see exactly how it works. This will also reveal how much you have to bet to qualify for the progressive jackpot and other features.
Get To Know All The Different Types Of Slots
Whether you’re at a retail casino or an online casino, you have a bigger variety of slots at your disposal than any other type of game. But the options go beyond fantasy theme vs. pop culture theme.
For example, some slots have unusual reel arrays while others have the classic three-reel setup. Some have all sorts of special symbols and bonus features while others are no-frills fun.
The list goes on, and slots innovations are always ongoing across the many game studios around the world. Check out all the different options, and don’t be afraid to try something new.
Play In Demo Practice Mode First
Many online casinos allow members to play the games in demo practice mode. Golden Nugget even allows visitors to try out the games before creating an account. This can be a highly effective strategy for familiarizing yourself with a game before risking any real money. If it’s not for you, you can simply choose another game. If it is for you, you can switch to real-money mode whenever you’re ready.
Pay Attention To Payback Percentage And Volatility
One of the many things that Golden Nugget gets right is the ability to quickly check the volatility and return to player (RTP) percentage of each game. However, you can usually Google search the name of the slot to find that information if you’re betting elsewhere.
Volatility represents the frequency of winning spins. Low volatility is a slot that pays out more often while high volatility slots pay out less frequently. Typically, the high volatility slots have bigger win potential, but that’s not always the case. Slots can also have medium volatility as well as medium-low and medium-high volatility.
RTP, also known as payback percentage, is the amount of the wagers the game keeps on average. For example, a game with an RTP of 95% pays back $95 for every $100 wagered on its machine.
The bigger your variety of slots play, the better you’ll get to know your preferences in terms of volatility. But, generally speaking, you want the highest possible RTP.
Get All The Online Casino Welcome Bonuses
All online casino welcome bonuses are tied to terms and conditions. And one of the most common stipulations is that the bonus funds only apply to slots betting. That makes them unappealing to those who play table games, but they’re must-haves for slot players.
You’ll still need to satisfy the playthrough requirements. But if you’re planning on playing a lot of slots, there’s nothing better than bonus cash.
For example, the BetMGM Casino Michigan welcome bonus is a 100% deposit match up to $1,000. The bonus funds are tied to a 15x playthrough – if you play the slots. But if you play table games, the bets only contribute 20% toward the playthrough, which essentially makes it a 75x playthrough requirement.
A 15x playthrough requirement isn’t ideal, but it’s doable. But a 75x playthrough is horrendous.
Do The Prize Pool Slots Tournaments
If you like playing online slots, keep your eye out for prize pool tournaments. Those often involve playing slots, and you can earn points toward a leaderboard for a potential cash prize. If you’re playing a similar game anyway, it just makes sense to opt-in for one of these contests in case you land an extra payout.
For example, BetMGM Casino is currently hosting the $2 Million Casino Super Series Leaderboard, where several different slots qualify for a chance at the seven-figure prize pool.
Meanwhile, Golden Nugget has the $600K June Race, and the points you earn there apply to the 2021 $5 Million Yearly Race.
Basically, you can win money just for playing a game you were already planning on playing. That’s about as good as it gets.
Embrace The Game Of The Week
Online casinos will often feature a “Game of the Week” that involves extra loyalty points, insurance offers, free bets, and more.
Here are some examples of Game of the Week offers going on right now:
- FanDuel Casino: Bet $50 or more on the Game of the Week, get $5 in betting credits.
- DraftKings Casino: Bet $10 or more on the Game of the Week, get $10 in betting credits.
- Golden Nugget Casino: Earn 2x the loyalty points for playing the Game of the Week.
Some may sound better than the other, but you probably don’t want to play a Game of the Week that doesn’t interest you. Browse the different options to see what appeals to you. If one does, you can play it for extra benefits, it’s as simple as that.
Don’t Ignore Responsible Gaming Advice
The only advice that guarantees success at the slots is to follow Responsible Gaming best practices. Some of the most important methods include:
- Set strict time limits
- Never bet over budget
- Don’t “chase losses,” just quit when you’ve reached your limit
- Play in the right state of mind
At the end of the day, you play slots to have fun. The casino has a better chance of winning than the player every single spin, so protecting yourself from losing more than you can afford is the key to long-term slots enjoyment.
Good luck and have fun!